Thursday 3 April 2014

People: I/you/he/she/it/we/they (Personal pronouns)

When we use verbs, we need to say who is doing the action. Sometimes it is one person (singular), sometimes it is more than one person (plural).


We use I to talk about Ryan, myself. I am a teacher. If I want to talk about myself and other people, I use we. We live in Manchester. (This is sometimes called the first person.)

We use you to talk about other people. We are looking at the person when we are talking about them. You can be singular or plural. (This is sometimes called the second person/)

We use he to talk about men, and she to talk about women. We are not looking at them when we are talking about them. We use it to talk about things. (This is sometimes called the third person singular). We use they to talk about men, women and things, but we are not looking at them. (This is sometimes called the third person plural.)

We call this group of words pronouns. I    you    he    she    it    we    they  are all types of pronouns. The pronoun I is always written with a capital letter.

Try this test: http://www.learnenglish-online.com/grammar/tests/subjectpronouns.html to practise

No comments:

Post a Comment