Thursday 25 July 2013

Conversation: In the restaurant

Look at this restaurant conversation that takes place in a restaurant in Manchester:
Jane:   Is this a good place to eat?
Ryan:  I think so. I've been here many times.
Jane:   What do you recommend?
Ryan:  Well, there are lots of things to try if you like spicy food. Do you want a starter or just a main course?
Jane:    If we're ordering starters, I will have the chicken satay.
Ryan:   OK. So if you order the chicken satay, I'll have the dumplings.
Jane:    Oh, if you have the dumplings, can I have one?
Ryan:   Yeah, if we order starters, we'll share them.

Waiter: Can I get you something to drink?
Jane:    Do you have any orange juice?
Waiter: Sorry, I'm afraid not. We do have some pineapple juice, though.
Jane:    Fine. I'll have a pineapple juice unless you want to share a bottle of wine?
Ryan:   No, you go for the pineapple juice. I'll have a bottle of Kirin Ichiban beer, please.
Waiter: Of course. One beer and one pineapple juice.

Jane:    Oh dear. There's so much choice. I don't know what to have. It all looks so strange and unusual.
Ryan:   You always say you want to try new things?! If you didn't want to come here, where would you prefer to go?
Jane:    I don't know. They just have so many new things. If they had sweet and sour chicken, I would order that. 
Ryan:  But they don't, so you can't. Why don't you try the Pad Thai? It's a famous and traditional dish from Thailand. If you don't like it, I'll eat it.  Or, you could try a curry? If you ordered the curry, you wouldn't need to order rice because rice is included.
Jane:   I'll try the Pad Thai. But if I don't like it, you will have to eat it.
Ryan:  No problem.
Read through the conversation. Look at the different conditional sentences that are underlined. Do you recognise the structure?
The conditionals are zero, first and second. Can you remember why they are used? Look at the examples:
if we order starters, we'll share them   Do you think they will order starters? Is it probable or unlikely?
there are lots of things to try if you like spicy food  Does Jane like spicy food?
if they had sweet and sour chicken, I would order that  Does the restaurant serve sweet and sour chicken: is it probably true, or unlikely to be true?

Practise reading the conversation with a partner.

Jane really enjoyed her meal and showed the menu to her friend Sally. Sally thought the food looked delicious.
Jane: If you go, Sally, I'll come with you.
Sally: That sounds great. If I go, I'll order the steak.

Jane then showed the menu to John, but John was not very enthusiastic.
John: I'm not really keen on Asian food, so if I went, I would probably just order some rice.

The menu came from Tampopo, an Asian restaurant in Albert Square in Manchester. You can look at their menu here: http://www.tampopo.co.uk/pdf/menu_04_12.pdf  Do you like the menu? If you went, what would you order?

No comments:

Post a Comment