Wednesday 31 July 2013

Grammar: Past simple v Past continuous

Ryan and Aziz are having a conversation.

Can you complete the sentences using the verbs in brackets and the correct past tense:


Ryan:        I'm sorry I'm late. I __________ (miss) the bus.
Aziz:         But I ________ (ring) four times!
Ryan:        I know. I've just seen all my missed calls. I __________ (sleep) when you ________ (call).
Aziz:         And you __________ (not hear) the phone?
Ryan:        No. Then the next time you ________ (ring), I ___________ (have) a shower. I ________ (not hear) the phone because I ____________ (listen) to the radio and _________ (sing) along.
Aziz:         Ok, but I __________ (call) you again at 8 o'clock.
Ryan:        Yeah, I know. My phone __________ (charge) upstairs and I _________ (miss) your call.
Aziz:         Then I __________ (ring) again half an hour later.
Ryan:        Yeah, I ___________ (run) for the bus and I couldn't answer my phone in time. It ___________ (still ring) while I ____________  (pay) for my ticket but then it __________ (stop). Anyway, I'm really sorry I'm late. Anyway, why ______________ (you ring) me?
Aziz:         Oh, I just ___________ (want) to tell you I was going to be late because I had missed the bus. In fact, I've only just arrived myself. I got here about five minutes ago!

The answers are after the jump:
Ryan:  I'm sorry I'm late. I missed the bus.
Aziz:   But I rang four times!
Ryan:  I know. I've just seen all my missed calls. I was sleeping when you called.
Aziz:   And you didn't hear the phone?
Ryan:  No. Then the next time you rang, I was having a shower. I didn't hear the phone because I was listening to the radio and singing along.
Aziz:   Ok, but I called you again at 8 o'clock.
Ryan:  Yeah, I know. My phone was charging upstairs and I missed your call.
Aziz:    Then I rang again half an hour later.
Ryan:  Yeah, I was running for the bus and I couldn't answer my phone in time. It was still ringing while I was paying for my ticket but then it stopped. Anyway, I'm really sorry I'm late. Anyway, why were you ringing me?
Aziz:    Oh, I just wanted to tell you I was going to be late because I had missed the bus. In fact, I've only just arrived myself. I got here about five minutes ago!

7 comments:

  1. Grace Hyejung Lee1 August 2013 at 15:28

    Hello! Ryan!
    I like this blog. Because this is very helpful when studying. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karina Martínez1 August 2013 at 20:30

    Hi teacher Ryan!!! thank you very much for doing this blog, it's great!! I'll put all my effort for use it regularly. OK, I tried to do this exercise without seen the answers, but is still complicated for me, I'm not sure about when I have to use the verbs with "ing", but I think all i need is more practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ryan! I really like this log, because it really helps me out to improve my grammar. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blog* sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This exercise is good for practise. And certainly I really this blog! :)
    Thank you so much Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you! Ryan I have interested by this explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. Ryan. It is nice a exercise. I wonder if you got angry with Aziz at the end of the dialog.

    ReplyDelete