Wednesday 3 July 2013

Grammar: Gerunds or Infinitives

Some people get very frightened by grammar. Let's look at gerunds and infinitives.

All verbs have a base form. For example: write, read, swim

We add to if we want to make infinitives

to write, to read, to swim

We add ing if we want to make gerunds. Remember the spelling rules for verb + ing

writing, reading, swimming

Sometimes we want to use two verbs together. The second verb is often a gerund or an infinitive. Which do you use?


There are no rules to help you. You have to learn which verbs are followed by gerunds, and which verbs are followed by infinitives.

You need to write a list to help you. When you read and see a new verb, look if it is followed by a gerund or an infinitive. Add it to your list.

Some common verbs + gerund

enjoy       practise       don't mind       consider       suggest       look forward to       don't mind

Some common verbs + infinitive

want       need       decide       offer       can't wait       refuse       agree

For some verbs, you can use both and they mean exactly the same

love       hate       prefer       start       continue


Read the text below. What verb + gerund/ verb + infinitive patterns can you see? Write them down and add them to your list.

I decided to come to Manchester because I really want to improve my English. I planned to come last year, but there was trouble with my visa. The embassy refused to give me the documents I required and suggested waiting for another few months because I needed to save some more money. When my visa arrived, I couldn't wait to come to come to Manchester and kept telling my friends all about my trip. I do miss seeing my friends and family but I have met some great people here and my teacher is amazing!! I enjoy meeting new people and I'm really looking forward to speaking more fluently and confidently.

It's important that you use these new verbs in your speaking and writing. You need to practise if you want to improve.

Here are some online exercises that can help you. Don't forget to write down the new verbs!

http://www.englishpage.com/gerunds/gerunds_infinitives_1.htm

http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/gerunds-and-infinitives-exercise-1.html

 Here are the slides from the lesson. Click on the slides to make them bigger:




6 comments:

  1. It's useful for me.
    Can you repeat grammar in our class in here again? because sometime I wrote that really fast and I can't read my letter. That's my problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I miss this class so i need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you my teacher Ryan. This lesson is very important for me to improve my English language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my teacher I hope to add extra exercise for this topic. it's useful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks , that helpful .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your style of writing and, because of it, your articles post are very interesting for me. Thank you for such a nice job. I really appreciate it. Thank you for your efforts. It was very good to create it.

    ReplyDelete